She’s named after a great treat and she creates some great costumes. She’s our Cosplayer of the Month, Lara Cupcake Cosplay.
In our interview, we discuss some of her costume creations, preview the Geek Media Expo (where she’ll be giving several panels) and hint at a possible appearance at the Nashville Zombie Walk.
How did you get your start with cosplay?
– “Fun story, right here: My boyfriend and I went to MTAC 2013 in Nashville, three days after I had my gallbladder taken out… so I — the bloated whale with stitches and bandages — wobbled around in pain for two days. It was the first convention I’d ever been to, when I saw all the people cosplaying and the amazing costumes, I knew I had to join in. I’ve been sewing and making all my Halloween costumes since I was a kid.”
How long have you been cosplaying?
– “I started cosplaying August 2013.”
What was your first costume?
– “Ame-Comi Raven: Angel of Azarath at Nashville Expo, I got third place in the contest.”
How many costumes have you made since then?
– “Five and working on three right now plus my commissions.”
What was the first convention you attended?
– “MTAC 2013. I was a bloated whale.”
I heard a rumor that you impressed Riddle with one of your costumes. Can you tell me that story?
– “It’s true! I got to spend a good bit of time with her and Kristen Hughey last year. Riddle was really impressed that I had it was my first and second costume. She gave me a lot of encouragement and positive feedback. Honestly, I was a bit of a fangirl when I met Riddle and didn’t think she’d give me the time of day, but she was really sweet. I stay in touch with both lovely ladies still.”
What costumes are you most recognized for wearing and why?
– “My Raven costume is well known. I was the first person to do that version of Raven. And also my Warrior Snow White (the original design is by Sadyna) has become more popular than I’d ever imagined.”
You worked the GMX booth at Wizard World. What’s your relationship with the convention?
– “My boyfriend and I are really good friend’s with Ray and Brenda, who work for GMX, They asked us to help get the word out about GMX. We had an absolute blast meeting everyone and hopefully GMX will be even bigger this year.”
I’m guessing you’ll be attending GMX this year. Will you be hosting any panels this year?
– “I am attending. I have a couple panels, not sure which ones I will be doing yet though. I’ll post on my Facebook when I know for certain!”
What are some of your upcoming costumes you’re working on? Will you be revealing any new ones at GMX?
– “I have a massive list I am wanting to do. But the upcoming ones: BioShock Little Sister, Bombshell Mera, and a secret one that I have a sponsorship through Wonderflex to do 🙂 As for GMX, I will be bringing Mera and the secret one… I promise the secret is worth waiting.”
What are you most looking forward to at GMX this year?
– “I’m doing a DC Bombshell group with a friend, which I’m very excited about. I’m looking forward to the costume contest and seeing old friends and making new friends.”
What kind of advice would you give to beginner cosplayers?
– “Two pieces of advice: Practice Google-Fu. Research and reference are your best friends in cosplay. And second, patience. Your best friend is knowing when to step away and come back to your project.”
What are you currently geeking out to?
– “I’ve been rewatching Green Lantern: The Animated Series and Attack on Titan, since it’s in English now. As well as reading my favorite comic, Red Hood and the Outlaws.”
Are you a gamer?
– “I am! Nowadays, I mainly play World of Warcraft, but BioShock is still my all-time favorite XBOX game.”
Will you be attending the upcoming Nashville Zombie Walk?
– “Thinking about it. Depends on my schedule. I’m thinking Zombie nurse, if so.”
Are you a horror movie fan? What are some of your favorites?
– “Love horror movies, always have. Favorites, this is hard… The Shining, Evil Dead, Cabin in the Woods, The Thing, Alien, Army of Darkness, Poltergeist… I’ll stop now.”
What are your plans for Halloween? How do you generally like to enjoy the holiday?
– “Halloween’s always been my favorite holiday, bigger than Christmas, to me. I loved dressing up and going trick-or-treating when I was a kid. Now we dress up and hand out candy. I always dress up as the Wicked Witch, just make changes to my costume each year.”
What events will you be attending next?
– “This is year GMX and Yama-Con will be the last cons. Next year is MTAC, Dragon Con, AWA, GMX… not sure what else, though.”
Is there anything else you’d like to add?
– “Cosplay is supposed to be fun. Don’t ever take it too seriously and always treat those like you’d want to be treated.”