Porphyria has a dark secret.
The Cosplay Deviants model recaps her very first Dragon Con experience, reveals her dark backstory and describes feeling “extra-Trekkery” in our interview.
What’s the background of your name?
– “It’s a poem, called Porphyria’s Lover by Robert Browning, that I loved when I was 16. It’s very macabre and dark. I just took it as an alias.”
Where are you based?
– “New York City.”
Have you attended many conventions?
– “Oh, yes. All over the coast, but never this deep in. I mean, Gen Con, does that count?”
Is this your first Dragon Con?
What are your thoughts about Dragon Con?
– “It is amazing. I have never been to a as-drunk or as-fun con… Most cons are amazing, but this is a totally different creature.”
Did you attend any Dragon Con events?
– “I went to the world record for the Star Trek outfits.”
Did they make the record?
– “No. We were 200 short.”
How did you get into cosplaying?
– “Just loving con-culture, to begin with and going out, anyway, seeing people dressed up as their favorite characters. You get caught up in that energy and it’s all positive and fun. It’s something to work toward. You take care of your body more, too, because if you have a goal for a character, you’re going to show your body off and you take care of yourself.”
What costumes have you worn this weekend?
– “First, I was a Moogle. Then, for the world record, I was Spock. Now, I’m 2D from Gorillaz.”
What are you currently geeking out to?
– “After all that Star Trek business, I’m feeling extra-Trekkery, but I’m not for those movies. I’m original (TOS).”
Where are you headed next?
– “This is it, for the summer.”
What keeps you busy, when you’re not cosplaying?
– “I just got my MFA. I’m an animator. That’s why I have to get serious. Just graduated.”
What kind of work are you looking for?
– “3D animation; game design type of things.”
For More Information
– Porphyria’s Facebook
– Cosplay Deviants Website
– Cosplay Deviants Twitter
– Cosplay Deviants Facebook