Christmas is almost here and that means seasonal-themed costumes are all the rage! In our Cosplayer of the Month interview, Kassandra Cosplayer discusses her holiday-themed photo shoot, adding seasonal flair to her costumes and going batty over Harley Quinn!
How were you introduced to cosplay?
– “I met my friend, Nisi, and she introduced me to the magical world of cosplay!”
How long have you been cosplaying?
– “I have been cosplaying for two years.”
What was your first costume?
– “Amber from Sucker Punch.”
Do you make all of your costumes?
– “No, but I do try to make them, myself, with the help of my friend Nisi.”
How many overall costumes would you say you’ve made?
– “Only four of my costumes are made from head to toe. And the other four are half made, half bought.”
What costumes are you most recognized for wearing and why?
– “In the beginning, when I first started cosplaying, it was my fem Sasuke from Naruto and I think it was because of the little details like having the eternal mangekyou sharingan contacts and his katana. And maybe because I was a girl dressed as a much-loved anime character. Now, it’s my Wonder Woman costume, because not only does everyone recognize her, but many people said I look like her.”
Where are you based?
– “I am based in the lovely City of New York!”
How many conventions and live events do you usually attend a year while cosplaying?
– “I go to at least six conversations and live events but each year that number goes up.”
Are there any cons or events you attend every year that you’ll never miss?
– “Yes! I would never miss New York City Comic Con and AnimeNEXT!”
What kind of advice would you give to beginner cosplayers?
– “Just do it! You will never regret it. It is an expensive hobby, so if you want to save money in the long run, invest in a sewing machine, because it is cheaper to make your costumes than buying them half the time. Youtube is a great help with learning how to sew. But please learn how to hand sew, too. It is just as important. Also, thrift shops are a good place to look for some pieces.”
What are you currently geeking out to?
– “Flash, Arrow, Gotham and my kitten Haru, who I named after an anime character from FREE!”
Are you a gamer? If so, what types of games do you like to play?
– “I’m not a gamer, but I like playing games if I’m not busy or when I’m with friends. My favorite games to play are racing games and senseless shooting games.”
I’m guessing you’re a big fan of Harley Quinn. How were you introduced to her? What do you like most about her?
– “I used to watch all the Batman animations as a kid and one day Harley appeared. My favorite thing about her is how she’s crazy and always wants to have fun. I also like the fact that she can hold her own.”
Are you a comic book fan? If so, what are your favorite titles?
– “I am fairly new to comics, but I love the Grimm Fairly Tales! I started out with the Alice in Wonderland series and was hooked!”
With the holidays around the corner, do you ever cosplay in December?
– “This will be my first year cosplaying in December. I am actually going to Winter Con this year for the first time and I will be attending a cosplay ice skating meet up.”
What are some of your holiday-themed costumes?
– “Well, honestly, I just add a Santa hat and BOOM! Christmas costume.”
Tell me a little about your Harley Quinn Happy Holidays photo shoot. How did that come about?
– “Well, people were talking about Christmas cards and I remember Suki Cosplay (a girl I follow on Facebook). She mailed out Christmas cards to those who sent her cards. Now, no one sent me any cards, but it had me thinking, ‘Why not just give cards to people who recognize me during the ice skating meet up? Whether they recognize me as being Harley or as Kassandra.'”
Do you have any other holiday-themed costumes you’re currently working on?
– “Currently, no, but it was pretty spastic, so let’s see what I do next year.”
Looking ahead, what lies ahead for you in 2015? What cons and events will you be appearing?
– “The first con of the year, SpringFest, where I will be in a Black Butler panel. Castle Point, Sakura Matsuri, AnimeNext, International Cosplay Day, New York City Comic Con and maybe Winter Con again. I know there are a few new cons i would like to go to next year, but I won’t know ’til the days get closer.”
Is there anything else you’d like to add?
– “I’d like to thank my friends for accepting my crazy self and to say to all my followers, ‘Thank you for showing so much support!’ You are what keeps me going.”