On Thursday, January 28, prepare to party like a Time Lord. From 6:30 to 10 p.m. Nashville’s Adventure Science Center hosts The Way Late Play Date and explores the science behind the TV show, Doctor Who.
Hop into your TARDIS for this adults-only themed party. Tickets cost $25 for museum members, $35 for non-members, and include admission to all exhibits and activities, three beverage tickets and a souvenir cup. Fat Bottom Brewing and Mayday Brewery will provide craft beer at the event and there will also be wine and sodas available for attendees. During the event, the Sudekum Planetarium will be playing Astronaut, narrated by Ewan McGregor, which allows guests to experience traveling through space, much like the Doctor on TV. Development Coordinator Alyssa Blades and Events Manager Jennie Stumpf preview the upcoming event.
The Doctor Who themed Way Late Play Dates are one of the hottest tickets in town. What makes this event so popular?
– AB: “We are thrilled to bring our Wibbly Wobbly Nights back to Nashville once again! Our Way Lay Play Dates are always so popular because they are a way for people to experience Adventure Science Center after hours in a casual, fun atmosphere. People enjoy dressing up to the night’s theme, trying out the different food trucks we bring in and tasting some local beers. But they also have fun exploring the hands-on science activities at each Way Late Play Date, and hopefully go home with little more appreciation for the wonders of science. I really can’t think of any other event in town where you can watch someone flash freeze using liquid nitrogen, while sipping on a drink or two.”
What’s new for this themed event in 2016?
– AB: “I have to be honest, our educators rocked this theme this year. We have a Find the Doctor scavenger hunt, learn how to write your name in Gallifreyan, explore the creatures of the universe (think snakes…), and of course, decide once and for all, is it really bigger inside?”
What kind of relationship does Adventure Science Center have with local breweries?
– AB: “Nashville’s local breweries are essential to making all of our late-night events a success. For us, it’s a win-win situation. We get to support our local brewing community, while also knowing that our guests are getting to enjoy some fantastic beer.”
Do you know which beers the sponsored breweries will be bringing to the event?
– JS: “I can say that Fat Bottom is bringing a seasonal beer, Java Jane.”
What kind of details do you have for the costume contest?
JS: “We have great prizes and guest judges for our Wibbly Wobbly costume contest. The rules are simple — report to Jack Wood Hall at the front of the Center no later than 8:15 to show off your best look. We will award 1st, 2nd and 3rd place with tickets to the next Way Late, passes to the Clarksville Con and original art by guest artist Grant Cooley!”
Please describe the details of the newly created Way Late Play Date Passport.
– AB: “This is the first year we’ve offered the Way Late Play Date Passport. Essentially, this passport allows you into all FOUR Way Late Play Dates for the price of three! It’s a great deal and people seem to be really excited about it.”
How do people purchase the passports and are they still available?
– AB: We do have some passports still available, but I would encourage people to buy now! We are only offering 100 passports this year. Go onto our website.”
Is there anything else you’d like to add?
– AB: “April 2016’s Way Late Play Date is People’s Choice. We have a poll that will close at 10 a.m. on Friday, Jan 29 to decide the theme. Go to our Facebook page, and take the poll today!”
– JS: “Hope to see you all this Thursday at the Wibbly Wobbly Way Late Play Date!”
For More Information:
– Doctor Who Way Late Play Date Event Information