Lloyd Kaufman is the ultimate filmmaker.
Troma Entertainment was founded 39 years ago and is arguably the longest-running independent film studio in the country. Lloyd Kaufman has helped the company grow throughout the years in a number of roles, including actor, writer, director, producer and composer. Most notably, he is Troma’s President and the creator of The Toxic Avenger and director of a score of classic films, including Class of Nuke ‘Em High! I spoke with Mr. Kaufman at Dragon Con about his upcoming movie, Return to Nuke ‘Em High and got a quick lesson in self-promotions.
Is this Troma Entertainment’s first Dragon Con?
– “No. We’ve been coming here 30 years.”
How are you enjoying your Dragon Con experience?
– “Well, Dragon Con is something Troma’s been going to for many years. Troma’s been making movies for 39 years, but the thing that was the highlight for me, out of this year’s con, is something called Zombies In My Blog. I ran into this… it’s just unbelievable. It makes the rest of Dragon Con seem microscopic. Zombies In My Blog really made a difference.”
What are your overall thoughts about the convention?
– “It’s my favorite pop-culture convention and I’m Lloyd Kaufman, Troma President and Creator of The Toxic Avenger. And when I’m not making those movies, like Return to Nuke ‘Em High and Toxic Avenger, I like to kick back and get involved with Zombies In My Blog, because Zombies In My Blog, is in my blog.”
Would you tell me a little about your upcoming movie, Return to Nuke ‘Em High?
– “Return to Nuke ‘Em High is a call-back to Class of Nuke ‘Em High. It’s one of Troma’s most-successful movies. It had a couple of sequels and some kind of cartoon that had a bit of a life. It was revisited as Return to Nuke ‘Em High. We just finished it, but it’s in two volumes. So, you’ve got to see Volume One. We’re now finished shooting and editing Volume Two.”
Is there anything else you’d like to add?
– “All I know is, Zombies In My Blog has changed my life.”