Starting today, Yama-Con, the fan-operated convention focused around anime, manga, comics and video games at the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee begins!
Some of the highlights of the weekend’s convention include:
– Iron Cosplay: A contest of skill, resourcefulness, creativity and fun! Each team of four to five members will receive one box of secret ingredients. Every box will be identical (though colors of some materials may vary) and the items within can range from aluminum foil to empty gallon jugs and from inflatable beach balls to cotton balls. You never know what you might get!
– Maid and Butler Café: Similar to the themed restaurants found in Akihabara, Japan. The hosts or staff dress as maids or butlers and customers are treated as the masters or mistresses of the house. You will be served by girls and boys in maid or butler cosplay.
– Lolita Tea Party: Sunday celebrates International Lolita Day, come dress up in your finest for tea and games
– Club Yama: The dance party featuring DJ Perehelion, DJ RAWR and others will be taking place all weekend long.
– Art Contest: The theme for 2013 is Yama-Con: Round 2. We want to focus on fighting games and martial arts. we will have our mascots (Yami Kitsune, the feisty fox-girl, and Yama-kun, the mischievous pet raccoon) dressed in DBZ theme but you may draw them in whatever you’d like.
– Ramen Eating Competition: Yama-Con is searching for noodle eating champions, two divisions (Speed and Endurance).Two rounds of speed and two rounds of endurance with three competitors per round. That’s twelve all together. But you can only compete once in one category. You can sign up at the con booth while spots last. Winners will receive passes to next year’s show!
– Speed: Four bowls of noodles. Whoever eats the fastest is the winner!
– Endurance: We’ve added a special ingredient and whoever can eat the most in three minutes is the winner!
– Otaku vs Food: Ever want to compete on Anime Fear Factor? Prepare yourself for wasabi and some things that are so much worse! Limit four participants. First come first served. Sign up throughout the weekend at the con booth.
– Formal Ball: winter themed ball outside in the pavilion tent Friday night We’ll have beautiful decorations and refreshments. Music performed live by Gavin Goska. Formal dress is encouraged but not required.
– Anime Music Video Contest: Submit your anime music video!
– Cosplay After Dark 18+ – it’s time to get a little naughty. Come and see guys and gals dressed as your favorite sexy characters but with a twist…..that costume’s coming off! Strip teases just like in your nerdy fantasies. Must be 18 to go and 18 to show.
– Cosplay Craftmanship Contest: The Crown Jewel of the weekend!