Yesterday, the Music City Film Critics’ Association 2019 Film Awards released its end-of-year list and 1917 stood tall, leading all award-winning films with five awards, including wins for Best Picture, Best Director – Sam Mendes, Best Sound, Best Cinematography and Best Editing.
The Music City Film Critics’ Association is comprised of 30 professional film critics who live and work in or around Nashville, TN, of which I am a proud member.
Clint Redwine, president of the MCFCA said, “2019 was a fantastic year for film. It was the second-highest-grossing box office of all time, and people spent their money seeing amazing films. Our winners this year speak to that success. We congratulate all of them and wish them all the best as we continue through awards season. We can’t wait to see the great things ahead for film in 2020.”
MCFCA member Cory Woodroof, who writes for the Nashville Scene and The Playlist, said, “This year’s winners are a wide variety of what made 2019 such a special year at the movies. 1917 represents one of the year’s premiere achievements in visceral, emotive storytelling and it’s a fine recipient for our top honor. It’s also great to see a film like Wild Rose take home The Jim Ridley Award. That film certainly embodies the spirit of our city and its storied arts scene.”
Other films with multiple wins include Joker (two), Knives Out (two), Once Upon A Time… In Hollywood (two), Parasite (two), Rocketman (two) and Us (two). Quentin Tarantino’s penultimate Once Upon a Time led all films with nine nominations and there were more than a few surprise winners among the group of winning movies this year.
THE 2019 MUSIC CITY FILM CRITICS’ ASSOCIATION OFFICIAL WINNERS
- Best Picture – 1917
- Best Director – Sam Mendes – 1917
- Best Actor – Joaquin Phoenix – Joker
- Best Actress – Lupita Nyong’o – Us
- Best Supporting Actor – Brad Pitt – Once Upon A Time… In Hollywood
- Best Supporting Actress – Florence Pugh – Little Women
- Best Young Actor – Roman Griffin Davis – Jojo Rabbit
- Best Young Actress – Kyliegh Curran – Doctor Sleep
- Best Acting Ensemble – Knives Out
- Best Animated Feature – Toy Story 4
- Best Documentary – Apollo 11
- Best Screenplay – Bong Joon Ho, and Jin Won Han – Parasite
- Best Sound – Oliver Tarney, Rachel Tate – 1917
- Best Song – (I’m Gonna) Love Me Again, Elton John – Music, Bernie Taupin – Lyrics – Rocketman
- Best Score – Hildur Guðnadóttir – Joker
- Best Music Film – Giles Martin, Ian Neil – Rocketman
- Best Cinematography – Roger Deakins – 1917
- Best Editing – Lee Smith – 1917
- Best Production Design – Barbara Ling – Once Upon A Time… In Hollywood
- Best Comedy – Knives Out
- Best Horror Film – Us
- Best Action Film – Avengers: Endgame
- Best Foreign Language Film – Parasite
- The Jim Ridley Award (For the film that best depicts Nashville) – Wild Rose
I had a lot of fun visiting movie theaters in 2019, watching some great (and not-so-great) movies, joining the MCFCA and attending the Nashville Film Festival. It really was a great year and I look forward to seeing what 2020 brings.